10 children's novels that are perfect for any age


Children's novels are probably one of my favorite genres. No joke. I could read books like this all day. They are usually fun, engaging, and light. Lately I feel like young adult fiction has gotten trashy, so I have started going back to my tried and true favorite children's books and they don't disappoint! I thought I would share with you some of these great books! Enjoy reading!


10. The Cardturner by Louis Sachar
Louis Sachar is better known for his book Holes, which is absolutely fabulous and I would recommend reading to anyone, however, I really like this newer book about the card game of Bridge. A boy named Alton who becomes the cardturner for his blind uncle who is very good at Bridge and while turning cards, Alton learns the game and learns things about himself as he grows up a little and even ends up winning a tournament and meeting a girl while doing it.


9. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
I have to admit that this book is the only one on this list that I have not actually finished reading. I have started this book more than once and I just can't finish it for some reason, but I include it on this list because Travis loves it. It is very much a book for him: survival, living in the woods, using a hatchet for everything, endless camping, wilderness survival skills, etc. For me, even though there was a lot of action happening: a boy gets stranded in the wilderness after the pilot of the plane has a heart attack and dies and has to learn to survive with basically nothing but a hatchet he brought (very pre-9/11), I thought the storyline moved surprisingly slow. However, Travis thinks it is an exciting book, so because he thinks so I would recommend this one.


8. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
The title of the first book kind of describes this book very well in a nutshell: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy. If you liked Little Women or have a little one that would like the storyline but needs a little simpler reading, then this is is a great series! Skye, Jane, Rosalind, and Batty all move to a cottage with their father and dog one summer. They meet a boy named Jeffrey and the first book is about their adventures of the summer from chasing runaway rabbits to the girls helping Jeffrey stand up for what he wants.


7. Once Upon a Marigold
I was recently reminded of this book by a friend who read it and asked if I had, and I did many years ago, but I had forgotten how cute this story is. This book is about a boy named Christian who spies on the royal family and ends up helping Princess Marigold find out the wicked plot of the Queen. This book is downright funny in parts, although a little transparent about the Queen being evil. But, altogether a very fun read that I would highly recommend if you want some light reading.


6. My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison
This book has a funny storyline and interesting plot twists. It follows a girl named Savannah who gets dumped by her boyfriend for her older sister and wants to find prince charming to take her to prom. Enter a godmother-in-training who wears high heels, has pink hair, and chews gum. Savannah's "fair" godmother grants her wishes, but not in the way she wants. On her last wish, Savannah finds herself and three friends stuck in the Middle Ages. While trying to solve a mystery and break the spell, Savannah resorts to 21st century tricks and tries to get her happily ever after. This is technically more of a tween novel, but it is fun, clean, and easy to read.


5. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
I read this book a few years ago at the suggestion of my sister-in-law and I liked it. I thought Travis would like it and afterward he read it. Reynie, an orphan, finds an interesting ad in a newspaper asking for brilliant kids to take a series of tests and afterward to go on a mission. Reynie passes all of the tests, as do three other children who are also orphans or estranged from their parents: Sticky, Kate, and Constance. They are each inducted into the Benedict Society, formed by a Mr. Benedict who asks them to infiltrate a facility that is a school for gifted children, that is run by an evil Mr. Curtain. This was an interesting book because there were puzzles, dilemmas, morse code, secret plots, and interesting twists.


4. Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
One of my all-time favorite books is this first novel in a quartet by Shannon Hale. The story is an adaptation to an older tale by the Brother Grimm, The Goose Girl, but I love what Shannon Hale has done with it. It follows a princess Anidori who has the special talent of speaking to animals. She does not relate well to people because of this and has a hard time connecting with others. She is close to her father, however, but one day he unexpectedly dies from falling off a horse while riding with Ani. The queen decides to send her to Bayern to become the princess bride to their prince. Along the way Ani has quite an adventure with her maiden trying to usurp her title, encounters with new friends, meeting a palace guard named Geric, and figuring out her way back to being a princess all while first becoming a goose girl. This is a fun read, as are the other books in the series. I think this also is more of a tween novel, but I would read it with young kids.


3. The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
This is one of my favorite mystery books. I first read it when I was in the 5th grade and I read it slow to try to understand all of it, thinking I would be able to solve it before I reached the end, but I totally didn't. Very much a surprise ending. Sixteen different individuals were invited to the will reading of Sam Westing and they are all there for specific reasons, although some know and some do not. The person who can solve the mystery will win all of his inheritance, but at what price? This book still gives me a thrill reading and I absolutely love it.


2. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
This is Travis's favorite children's novel and I agree that it is very good. It has some pretty deep themes of tolerance, friendship, differences, acceptance, coming-of-age, homelessness, etc. But, it also has some funny parts like how Maniac Magee is allergic to pizza (of all things!) and how he can outrun anyone. We have this book on CD and have listened to it a few times in the car and probably will continue to do so on many road trips to come. Jeffrey Magee enters and leaves the town of Two Mills in the same way: running. He is a phenomenon to the people of Two Mills because of his athletic abilities, running capabilities, and his ignorance of the racial duality and clear boundaries of the town. Travis says, "It is hilarious, memorable, and deeply moving." I would have to agree.


1. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
So this may be my all-time favorite book. I read it every time I visit my parents' house, even if it is just for the weekend. I think I grew up with three copies and tore through the binding on every. single. one. This fairytale Cinderella story has spunk. Ella of Frell is cursed with obedience from the foolish fairy Lucinda, however she is blessed with a fairy godmother and a loving mother. Her mother passes away from sickness and she is left practically an orphan because her father is so distant and aloof. Her father quickly marries Dame Olga, who brings her two daughters, Hattie and Olive, who are silly, shallow, and mean. Ella is shipped off to boarding school and embarks on many grand adventures from meeting Areida, an Ayorthan friend, having encounters with elves, ogres, a prince and his men, a giant wedding, and more. Ella is not what Cinderella is normally portrayed to be, but has personality, a love for languages and reading, is spunky, and learns a lot on her adventures about life, curses, magic, and love. While written simplistically, it is a fun read that you will want to read again and again. Travis helped me rank these books and even he agreed to put Ella Enchanted as number one because, "Ella is so relatable." I agree. She is not perfect, but she learns so much along the way about standing up for yourself, for those you love, and agency.

What are your favorite children's novels?

For more ideas and suggestions, check out this awesome list of 100 Top Children's Novels made by School Library Journal. I made my list before I found this one and pretty much all of my fav books are on it!

CONVERSATION

5 comments:

  1. I'm planning to get into reading books again on a regular basis. Thanks for the list!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love children's books as well! There are some on this list I haven't read and will have to check out now. Ella Enchanted is definitely one of my all time favorite books as well. Anne of Green Gables is at the very top of my list as well. Some of my other favorite children's books are: Princess Academy, Because of Winn Dixie, A Little Princess, and Moon Over Manifest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Anne of Green Gables in a long time. I think I tried it when I was really young and couldn't finish it because it was so long and I felt like it was moving slow, but it has probably been 20 years, so I should try again for sure! I love the other ones you listed, but I haven't heard of Moon Over Manifest. I should check that one out! Thanks for sharing! I know that my list of books I get through in a year pales in comparison to yours. You're my hero--mother, wife, and avid reader :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you like The Westing Game too! It has a great plot. One of my favorite children's books is Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff. It's about a girl who has an incredible gift for art and who uses it to come to terms with her troubled past. The way Giff writes brings the art and emotional aspects of the book to life. I'm excited about this list, there are lots of books here that I am going to have to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that book. I will definitely put it on my list to read it!! Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete

Back
to top