Grammie's Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies





I have always told myself that if I ever posted a recipe on a blog that I would ALWAYS post the recipe first because who really wants to scroll through your life story before reading the recipe you posted? Has anyone else ever noticed that recipe blogs have WAY too much commentary before you actually get to the recipe? Well, I decided to change things up, at least on this blog.


I don't know if my mother always baked sugar cookies around Valentine's Day, but I have memories of multiple years of her doing it, so I am calling it a tradition. The part I loved the most about it was she would bake what seemed like a hundred heart-shaped sugar cookies, frost them all pink, and write all of our names on them so you knew that you had cookies just for you. I remember watching her get out the cookie decorating supplies and spell our names onto the cookies. I was always particularly impressed with her ability to fit my long name on cookies. As you can see from my frosting abilities, I do not have cookie decorating gear (maybe one day...), but I am here to say that sometimes simple is best!

Since my mom is known as "Grammie" in our house, I decided to call it Grammie's Sugar Cookies. Also, for some reason my mom has not posted this recipe on her blog, so I decided to do it here.



I especially love this recipe because it is easy! I usually half the recipe because it makes a TON of cookies. I made mostly big hearts and I still got 2-3 dozen out of making just half of the above recipe. I also love that this recipe does not require you to chill the dough. Most sugar cookie recipes say that the validity of the recipe depends on you chilling the dough for at least 2 hours, and in some cases 24. Sometimes we just don't have time for that when we want sugar cookies now! This recipe is perfect for that, but if you need to chill the dough then this recipe works just as well for that too. I also like the vanilla flavor of this recipe and sometimes I double just the vanilla part so I can taste it more.



Sugar cookie tips:

If you want thicker, softer cookies then do not roll the dough to a quarter of an inch and instead try a half an inch. Likewise, if you want thinner, crunchier cookies then roll it out thinner.

If you are using all cookie cutters that are around the same size (like you are using a snowman and a star that are about the same size) then use only one shape when you are cutting it out each time. It helps save on space so you don't have to roll it out so many times.

Put all of the same shape and size on a cookie sheet to cook. The cookies will cook more evenly.

Use parchment paper and light colored baking sheet. Parchment paper makes it easy to remove from cookie sheet and light colored baking sheets prevent burning.

Be vigilant when cooking sugar cookies! The first batch might need 10 minutes, but most likely the second will need less time, especially if they are thinner. The best time to pull them out is when you can BARELY start to see a little brown around the edges.

If you are wanting to do multiple layers of frosting, make sure the first one dries completely--it is better to even wait overnight--before adding the second layer. This also makes it easier if you mess up and you can just scrape off the wet frosting while the dry frosting stays!

You don't need fancy cookie decorating equipment to write words. I only used a ziploc sandwich bag filled with frosting. You can definitely tell, but I think it is still worth doing.



Happy Valentine's Day!

Love,

The Williams Family

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! The cookies stay soft for a long time. (Can you tell I'm not the crunchy kind of cookie lover?)

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top